Renault Clio - Changing the Fuel Filter - malct

I need to change my fuel filter on my Clio, Its now 7 years old and i am unsure if the filter has been changed or not , It was supposed to have been changed during its last service, But the garage ran out of time and only did a small service due to the car needing work done for its MOT. Most places are looking at £150 to change the filter, But looking on Youtube , Its quite a easy job but they don't really tell you how to bleed the Diesel if it airlocks. I have a 2017 1.5 Diesel engine.

I would have thought that there would be more up to date Videos on Youtube, But its very limited with old Videos.

I may bring the next service forward and have a Major service done and have a gap between the service and MOT.

If anyone can tell me how to bleed the engine, That would be great

Renault Clio - Changing the Fuel Filter - elekie&a/c doctor
Changing the diesel filter can be a risky business if you’ve not done it before. If you get air in the system, you’ll struggle to get it started . Does your car have a rubber fuel primer bulb in the engine bay ? . Think I’d leave it until the next service. Let the garage have the problem. Not sure if your car has an in tank primer pump ?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 30/03/2024 at 10:38

I have had a look for a rubber fuel primer bulb, But can't find it , On the newest Video that i watched , The guy turned the engine over until it started and another guy filled the fuel filter back up with diesel and it started, But i am sure that it would not clear the air. Many years ago in the 70s, you used to undo a nut , Turned the engine over until the air stopped coming out, tighten and then start the engine, But you can't do that now .. Maybe best to leave it for the experts

Renault Clio - Changing the Fuel Filter - focussed

Look in the car's owner's handbook for "what to do if you run out of fuel".

If there is an entry in the handbook it should inform you how to get going again, like how to prime the fuel system etc.

It's the same problem.

If there is an entry in the handbook it should inform you how to get going again, like how to prime the fuel system etc.

It's the same problem. Thank you , I have found it, Seems easy enough, You have to insert key card then press start button without pressing on the pedals and wait a few minutes and then start the engine, Its self priming

Edited by malct on 01/04/2024 at 09:18

It's the same problem. Thank you , I have found it, Seems easy enough, You have to insert key card then press start button without pressing on the pedals and wait a few minutes and then start the engine, Its self priming

Thanks for coming back to tell us all the result.

Renault Clio - Changing the Fuel Filter - John F

I need to change my fuel filter on my Clio, Its now 7 years old ......

Why? Nowadays they don't get clogged up with rust particles and debris from dirty fuel.

Renault Clio - Changing the Fuel Filter - Andrew-T

Why? Nowadays they don't get clogged up with rust particles and debris from dirty fuel.

John, why are you certain that fuel doesn't need to be filtered any more ?

Renault Clio - Changing the Fuel Filter - John F

John, why are you certain that fuel doesn't need to be filtered any more ?

1. VW Passat GL5 Estate - traded in at 192,000 miles (1994) - original filters.

2. VW Passat 2.0GL Estate - traded in at 242,000 miles (2004) -original filters.

3. Audi A6 2.8SE -sold at 133,000 miles (2014) -original filters.

4. Ford Focus estate 1.6 Zetec - failing fuel pump replaced at 16yrs old (2016) and 112,000 miles - hardly any debris noted on its uptake filter or on the in line filter I had changed at the same time, thinking it might be clogged and contributing to its deterioration by making it work harder - it wasn't, and didn't need to be renewed.

5. Fuel filter on my outdoor plastic 1800 litre oil tank - has filtered around18000 litres (4,000 gallons) of kerosene over the past twelve years - scarcely any debris noted on my infrequent inspections. (A diesel car will use around 4,000 gallons for 160,000 miles).

Don't they?

They do. Every diesel fuel filter I have ever changed - scores, possibly hundreds, look like the one in the pictures in the link below sometimes less dirt, rarely more.

The black stuff in diesel fuel that comes out in the filters seems to be a universal feature.

bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rust-fuel-filter.../

Renault Clio - Changing the Fuel Filter - Brit_in_Germany

They also act as a water trap.

Renault Clio - Changing the Fuel Filter - gordonbennet

Some quite standard French cars have very expensive fuel filters, but sometimes they can be part dismantled easily so you only need to replace the filter element itself, we found this with the C2 HDi, where the actual filter unit was less than half the cost of the whole unit...the quote of £150 the OP has had makes me think this might the case here.