Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - Kathryn Mark

Hi, anyone own a Jeep Compass or know anyone that does?

I really like the look of them and some good second hand deals.

Anyone any feedback on how they drive ?

And their reliability/ any issues?

Thank you

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - maz64

Don't know if you've had a look at HJ's review, here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/jeep/compass/

That's got a link to some owners' reviews - not many, and a bit mixed:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/jeep/compass-20.../

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - daveyjp

Same platform as a Fiat 500XL and Renegade so look at reviews of those as well.

Thank you

Thank you

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - Heidfirst

I had one in the US as a hire car ~2016 - build quality was appalling.

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - maz64

FWIW HJ indicates that the 2020 Compass that the OP is after was released in 2018. Obviously that doesn't mean the build quality is any better :)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/jeep/

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - Heidfirst

FWIW HJ indicates that the 2020 Compass that the OP is after was released in 2018. Obviously that doesn't mean the build quality is any better :)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/jeep/

afaik the model was released in 2016 but possibly not imported into the UK later.

& the hire car that I got was very low mileage so the quality could not be blamed on age/misuse.

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - edlithgow

Mr Eric O, who ought to know, is especially scathing about them

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahbPGHkq_PQ

"I swear these newer Fiat Jeeps are the biggest pieces of junk on the road today. The plastic is brittle and these things fail faster than you can fix them but hey, I guess that is kinda my job right? "

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - Adampr

The previous version of the Compass was famously unpleasant. The one before that seems to have been bad all round. I did consider one of the new (2017 on) ones recently but couldn't find one that met my various criteria. By all accounts they're fairly decent. To my eye, they're more handsome than the competition.

I always find it a bit strange when I see videos of Americans slating European cars. I suppose we place a much higher value on fuel economy and the ability to go round corners whereas they stick to the formula of making everything very substantial and slinging a huge petrol engine in there.

I always find it a bit strange when I see videos of Americans slating European cars. I suppose we place a much higher value on fuel economy and the ability to go round corners whereas they stick to the formula of making everything very substantial and slinging a huge petrol engine in there.

A cliche, probably containing truth, like most cliches, but unrelated to the specific criticisms of brittle plastic and an unusually high failure rate.

The linked video is on a 2017 Jeep Renegade. The OP could perhaps look for newer ones to confirm or deny that these faults are generic and carried forward.

Mr O mostly works on newish cars because he is located in New York State, which is big on corrosion. The works on bit is important, because it gives a meaningful perspective.

More meaningful than "handsomeness", for example, which the OP shouldn't need any advice from us on.

Among those newish cars, he mostly works on newish American cars, particularly Chevrolets, which he says are junk.

In fact he says ALL (newish) cars are junk, with, unsurprisingly, Japanese makes like Honda and Toyota being somewhat less junky than most.

If he says that Fiat Jeeps are junkier than most, there is a pretty good chance that they are.

Edited by edlithgow on 09/05/2024 at 04:58

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - Adampr

A cliche, probably containing truth, like most cliches, but unrelated to the specific criticisms of brittle plastic and an unusually high failure rate.

The linked video is on a 2017 Jeep Renegade. The OP could perhaps look for newer ones to confirm or deny that these faults are generic and carried forward.

Mr O mostly works on newish cars because he is located in New York State, which is big on corrosion. The works on bit is important, because it gives a meaningful perspective.

More meaningful than "handsomeness", for example, which the OP shouldn't need any advice from us on.

Among those newish cars, he mostly works on newish American cars, particularly Chevrolets, which he says are junk.

In fact he says ALL (newish) cars are junk, with, unsurprisingly, Japanese makes like Honda and Toyota being somewhat less junky than most.

If he says that Fiat Jeeps are junkier than most, there is a pretty good chance that they are.

I'm not sure I questioned his credibility; it was just a thought. It's true that I don't worship at the altar of this guy, Scotty Kilmer or that Australian that says everything is terrible. I wasn't aware one had to pick a god.

The Compass is a newer model than the Renegade and perhaps some of those issues have been addressed. In any case, I could probably find you a video of somebody telling you that pretty much any model of car is r******.

I'm not sure I questioned his credibility; it was just a thought. It's true that I don't worship at the altar of this guy, Scotty Kilmer or that Australian that says everything is terrible. I wasn't aware one had to pick a god.

The Compass is a newer model than the Renegade and perhaps some of those issues have been addressed. In any case, I could probably find you a video of somebody telling you that pretty much any model of car is r******.

Which would be entirely consistent with what I post above.

Re "They might have fixed it" I acknowledge that as a possibility above, but I wouldn't bet on it. The linked video (accompanied by an apparently general critique of Fiat Jeeps) was only posted a year ago, so the author, at least, was evidently unaware of any improvement at that time..

The Willys inspired Fiat Campagnola was apparently OK, but it doesn't have "Jeep" written on it, and the last one was made in 1987

Edited by edlithgow on 09/05/2024 at 13:19

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - alan1302

It's social media law -you have to pick a side and can't ever question it, and defend them to the death! :-)

It's social media law -you have to pick a side and can't ever question it, and defend them to the death! :-)

This is t***.

The OP asked for informed comment. I linked to what appears to be some.

Simple as that.

Re the other two, not sure of the relevance..

Bit too much theater about Scotty Kilmer for my taste, and I'm not sure he is still a practicing mechanic, but I understand he has been one, and is probably mostly sound.

John Cadogan (I assume) is a motoring journalist, who tends to be long-windedly patronising and a bit of a techno enthusiast (which I'm not) but he mostly seems to be technically sound too, having been an engineer.

If either of them have panned Fiat Jeeps, that'd carry some weight, but not as much as an experienced-based opinion from a practicing mechanic.

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - Alby Back
One has to be careful with social media. By and large, it’s biased towards negative commentary rather than positive.
We have had a Renegade for three years. In addition to “normal” use it regularly tackles rough tracks to allow us to access remote mountain biking locations and it took us to the south of France and back last summer without the slightest fault. Seems pretty robust all round in fact.
We like it.
Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - veloceman
I had a 68 plate Compass for a while.
It was the Longitude which was about the lowest model at the time and I think it makes the most sense financially as it had all the toys you would ever need.
I do remember the seats being extremely comfortable and the smaller wheels for better ride and road noise.
I wouldn’t say build quality was poor, the interior was certainly dated but everything worked and had one of the best std sound systems I’ve heard.
1.4 petrol engine was quick enough. Steering feels slow and lifeless at first but when you get used to it I could happily chuck it around with confidence.
As with all the 1.4 multiair engines Cambelt will be avery 5 years and also ensure the multi air filter is changed as this can be over £1k to replace.
I enjoyed mine and felt like it would go anywhere.
35mpg, 9k service intervals prob not the cheapest to run and a Nissan Qasqai is prob a better car.

Thank you for this message. Did you get unwanted noise alerts about being too close to other cars? Seen a review that mentions the alert sounds off a bit too much? Thanks

Jeep Compass - Feedback request about Jeep Compass (around 2020) - veloceman
Don’t remember excessive warnings.
In most cars you can adjust the sensitivity of the front radar in the menus so I suggest you try that.

Thank you