Used car from authorised dealer - Dumb
Is that a normal to negotiate a lower price from the list price when buying a used car from an authrosied dealer? They don't tell what the list price included, and I don't want to miss out. Help please?
Used car from authorised dealer - frostbite
Eh?
Used car from authorised dealer - Dumb
Sorry if I'm being dumb (that's how I call myself!). The reason I asked for this is that I went to a few authrised dealers for USED car and one of them offers to pay for road tax, knock 100 ponds off the list price etc. As such I am wondering it's negotitable in general, and never accept the list price for the next car.
Used car from authorised dealer - borasport20
The 'list price' is the manufacturer's recommended price for a NEW car - the phrase simply has no relevance for a used car.

But to answer your question, I think that most people try to pay less than the price the dealer is asking. But the dealer will have taken that into account, and priced the car higher so he can appear to knock the price down

--
\"I ought not to let my mind wander - it\'s too small to be out on its own\"

www.mikes-wa
Used car from authorised dealer - Wee Willie Winkie
There is no such thing as a list price for a used car, only a price that the dealer is prepared to sell at, and you're prepared to buy at. Factors such as mileage mean varied prices.

For example, one dealer might have a car on sale at £4995. He may offer you £100 off or free road tax. You can try to negotiate more than that. He can afford it.

Never pay the price you see on the windscreen. Depending on what car and price you are looking at there will be differing opportunities to negotiate.

Hope that helps.

DB
Used car from authorised dealer - blue_haddock
the best way to describe the price of a used car is "the screen price"

and yes every dealer includes some degree of haggling margin in the screen price.
Used car from authorised dealer - Stuartli
Better visit this website or the many similar ones:

www.smartcarguide.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Used car from authorised dealer - Stuartli
>>and I don't want to miss out>>

There are millions of cars on our roads and one of them (of very many) will be for you.

Never let a car salesman sense over eagerness - walk away if necessary if you are not fully happy, he or she will almost certainly call you back and renegotiate...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Used car from authorised dealer - Hugo {P}
Depending on how old the used car is, don't be conned into paying more for a 1 or 2 year old used car than you can for a new car exactly the same spec.

A few useful approaches:

If the car you're looking at is nearly new, contact the main car brokers such as DrivetheDeal.com etc andget some decent guide prices for new. Remember you are looking at the OTR (On The Road) prices.

Use this as a guide for your used car - ie if the best new price is say £9995 and the garage is trying to sell you a used car for say £9495 that is 6 months old, you have some real barganing weight. Also work out the benefits of any interest free deals for new cars etc.

Remember, car manufacturers are so desparate to achieve their new registration figures, they will often create situations where you can get up to 30% discount on the list price. My new van with a list price of £14,400 plus VAT cost me £10,900 plus vat and I got 0% interest with 30% deposit. That's just under 25% discount.

If the car is say 4 or 5 years old then the best benchmark for a screen price is what that car would cost at other dealers and priveately.

Expect to pay more from a reputable or franchise dealer as you'll be getting warranty etc. Franchise dealers have used car warranties backed by the manufacturer eg Citroen have Hallmark used car warranties.

Look in the papers to see what similar cars are being advertised privately for, knock 10 to 15% off these and that's what the buyers may accept.

Now compare these figures with the screen price of the car you're interested in. Consider what discount you can get to bridge the gap then decide whether the difference (if any) is worth it. If it is buy the car, if not either try and haggle some more or walk away.

Honest John will no doubt improve on this. If he doesn't come by this thread then maybe an e mail to him for a bit of advice may be in order??

H

If the