Auction visit - SLO76
Been a while but I nipped in for a wee nosey at my local auction to see how prices are. Strong money paid for anything with four wheels and a Mot, particularly from online bidders who aren’t seeing the whole picture from their armchairs at home. Got an updated list of fees, which have risen markedly since I was last here, pretty much wiping out any real savings for private punters. A few examples of note.

A 2010 Toyota Avensis 1.8 saloon that had 55,000 miles up but every panel and both bumpers were damaged and the car looked very tired and highly likely to have more miles than it was showing. Exhaust was blowing too. It made £2,700 plus £350 in fees. Someone is in for a nasty surprise when they pick this one up. It’s a £1,200 car in my opinion.

2018 BMW X3 2.0 diesel with loads of kit, 24,000 miles, full history and needing no paint. Just needed a good valet inside made £22,000 plus £1,600 fees - if a private buyer. Too much money.

2015 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSi SE 5dr - 54,000 miles. Tidy car but had poorly matched o/s wing repaint. Made £5,500 plus fees. Good car for someone who’s not too fussy.

2017 VW Golf 1.6 TDi S 5dr 103,000 miles but tidy and with good history. Made £5,850 plus fees. Emissions warning light on will mean money spent. The Skoda above was the better buy.

2018 Toyota Yaris 1.33 - Low miles but no history and nasty paint job to n/s rear arch that’ll need fixed. Made £8,500 plus fees to online buyer who obviously got a bit over excited.

Noticed a row of Open Reach Peugeot EV vans in on 73 plates for disposal at a commercial vehicle sale. These have done hardly any miles and are essentially new vans. Must not have worked out for the firm so they’re getting shot. Be interesting to see what they go for.

Several Mk I Nissan Leaf’s were lying around looking pretty sorry for themselves. Clearly been doing laps of the hall and not found buyers. Dealers not interested.

A 2015 Toyota Verso 1.6 diesel with 25,000 miles showing was getting interest from private punters but had clearly been clocked. The car was very tatty and neglected looking. More like 125,000 miles and possibly an ex taxi. But 7 seats and a Toyota badge will always draw a buyer. The trade were avoiding it though. Not sure what it made, as we left while it was going through.

As I always say, cars come to auction for a reason. No dealer will punt a tidy part-ex through the ring if it’s sellable. It will be sent if it’s too old for them (you need to know who put it in and their typical stock policy) or if it has a serious fault or mileage question mark. Almost every car that passed through had a problem that would’ve put me off as a buyer. The only car I spotted that was really worth a punt was a 2013 Toyota Auris 1.33 with low miles and good history. Needed a bumper scuff fixed but otherwise very tidy. It was entered by a large chain that don’t stock older stuff like this so I would happily believe the wee car was there for the right reason. Traders were all over it as it passed through so it made near retail money with fees.

Not the same atmosphere as it once was, loads of buyers were online rather than turning up in person (a mistake in my opinion as the car is never as good as the pics or description) and the wee cafe that used to churn out pretty decent chow and plenty of car chat is closed.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/04/2024 at 00:33

Auction visit - expat

Much the same here in Australia. The fleets would auction off their cars at 2 years old and big Ford and GM cars went for half their new cost. Those days are gone. Fleets seem to hang on to their cars much longer, the auction houses have jacked up their fees and big cars are no longer around much. It was a very good deal while it lasted.

Auction visit - Big John

Interesting re auctions and underpins what I've just seen whilst helping a friend buy a car circa £3.5k and my goodness I saw some sorry looking "bangers". I think yesterdays £1k car is now £3k!. In summary looked at:-

2011 Peugeot 308, ignoring three tyres were flat, panel gaps were all wrong it had clearly had a bump in the past. Little sign of servicing and all brakes were cream crackered (not just surface rust on discs). Interior - ugh..

2015 Astra 1.6 sri - Better was an Astra. Interior was lovely , looked better looked after, engine sounded good, well until I lifted the bonnet, coolant reservoir was internally coated in oil.

2011 Octavia 1.6mpi , more flat tyres and battery totally flat, sounded ok when finally started however found rear damage on rear bumper and hatch was hard to open, terrible rust under spare wheel well (not holed yet, but bad). And after running for a while I spotted a petrol leak dripping onto the tarmac.

That's just a small subset but my goodness most at this price point where only one step away from the sc***yard.

We did actually find a nice 2011 Octavia Elegance with 114k miles on it. Front brake pads will doing in the next year or so but generally it was excellent order. Very complete service history with first few years at the dealers then at independents. Drove really well and everything worked inc the climate control and cruise. No Bluetooth though -it was an option then.

He has just picked it up.

Edited by Big John on 03/04/2024 at 09:30

Auction visit - elekie&a/c doctor
There’s only one winner at these events, and that’s the auction house . They get their fees if you’ve bought a minter or a shed . Friend of mine bought a “bargain “ E class Mercedes, looks really top notch , until he got it home to find both headlights not working. £2.5 k later , it was all up and running. !
Auction visit - daveyjp

Not sure a 2018 Yaris had a 1.33.

Ours is 2017 and only options were the 1.0 3 cylinder and 1.5 manual or hybrid.

I

Auction visit - SLO76

Not sure a 2018 Yaris had a 1.33.

Ours is 2017 and only options were the 1.0 3 cylinder and 1.5 manual or hybrid.

I

Probably was a 1.5, I did think it was late to be a 1.3.
Auction visit - Engineer Andy

Wouldn't that Auris be one of those affected by the supposedly easy theft of their CATs, and thus high insurance prices?

One of the problems I've been noticing when looking to replace an 'old' car like mine is that many 'back street' car dealers don't have any repair facilities and thus (given how many appear to regularly lie about the condition of their stock) you have no guarantee that the cars sold will be roadworthy and not require a large percentage of their sale value spent on repairs to problems known by the retailer but not told to punters.

This to me is a particularity problem for older cars like mine where some are being put up for sale at ridiculous prices. A good few local outlets have between 50-75% tales of woe in reviews of the outlet, several of which where significant faults were seemingly covered up by the retailer.

I'm wondering whether it may be better to just buy from conscientious private owners (often OAPs giving up driving or just getting a new car) and stump up for an RAC person or equivalent to do a check on the vehicle prior to sale?

Auction visit - Paul Robinson

As a long term viewer of Location, Location, Location, one theme of the program is people expecting a lot more for their budget than is possible in the market conditions at that time. Phil and Kirstie then have the role of managing expectations... sometimes this is taken onboard and other times the house hunters end up not buying anything.

I think the same applies to used cars now - for various reasons, they are a lot more expensive than a few years ago and it's not helpful being in denial about this, as I don't think the situation is likely to change in the near future.

Auction visit - SLO76

As a long term viewer of Location, Location, Location, one theme of the program is people expecting a lot more for their budget than is possible in the market conditions at that time. Phil and Kirstie then have the role of managing expectations... sometimes this is taken onboard and other times the house hunters end up not buying anything.

I think the same applies to used cars now - for various reasons, they are a lot more expensive than a few years ago and it's not helpful being in denial about this, as I don't think the situation is likely to change in the near future.

I am in complete denial, I just can’t accept the madness that is the used and new car market at the moment. Cars that should be £1,000 smokers with a year maybe two of economic life left are on at dealers at £4-£5k. Used family SUV’s are the guts of £20k at 5/6yrs old just as they enter the age where things start to go wrong. Risk is no longer priced in. My wee visit to auction was to see if there are any worthwhile bargains to be had, sadly there weren’t, the fees kill most of any savings for private buyers, a £15k purchase costs £1,500 in fees for example at 10% with a minimum of £350 on any sale. I’m now waiting cash in bank on that wee private sale bargain that may never turn up.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/04/2024 at 16:39

Auction visit - Paul Robinson

Given the extent of the marketing of 'we buy any car' and 'Motorway', I don't think there are many private sellers who are not aware of the market value of their car.

Auction visit - SLO76

Given the extent of the marketing of 'we buy any car' and 'Motorway', I don't think there are many private sellers who are not aware of the market value of their car.

Yup, and thus the lack of private sale stock. Much of it is write-offs that dealers don’t want or it’s priced unrealistically at retail money. You never know. I’m positioned with the money in the bank and a car that’s (touch wood) perfectly reliable so there’s no great rush.
Auction visit - Dave N
Not all the cars at auctions are junk, but all the junk cars are att the auctions.