Seat Ateca fr 1.5 auto - Tyre quality question - challenger54

Previously had Bridgestone Turanzo but they perished and had Iconic tyres fitted as a replacement as the new Bridgestone's were more expensive.

I noticed a slight vibration with the new tyres on the front and went to the garage to have the balancing checked. The guy said there was a very slight variation on the weights but should not be a vibration. He has been in the tyre business for 20 yrs plus.

Do you think that I should ditch these budget tyres and go back to Bridgestone's? Will this make a difference?

Seat Ateca fr 1.5 auto - Tyre quality question - catsdad

I can’t find Iconic tyres online. Is it a typo (e.g. for Invovic)?

That aside if these are from the very budget end of the market, they are likely to have compromises compared to mainstream makes. That might include balance issues and whether they give good handling and braking.

As for perishing I had minor inter-tread cracks on Michelins last year and I put that down to two successive hot summers and sitting on the drive when COVID restrictions limited use. I wonder if perishing is going to be more common even on premium tyres if we get more hot summers.

If Iconic do exist hopefully some backroomer can comment more specifically.

Seat Ateca fr 1.5 auto - Tyre quality question - galileo

I can’t find Iconic tyres online. Is it a typo (e.g. for Invovic)?

That aside if these are from the very budget end of the market, they are likely to have compromises compared to mainstream makes. That might include balance issues and whether they give good handling and braking.

As for perishing I had minor inter-tread cracks on Michelins last year and I put that down to two successive hot summers and sitting on the drive when COVID restrictions limited use. I wonder if perishing is going to be more common even on premium tyres if we get more hot summers.

If Iconic do exist hopefully some backroomer can comment more specifically.

I once had a vibration which was due to a 'flat spot' or 'out of round' condition which didn't show up as unbalance.

Try jacking wheels up and spinning, such an out of round of a few millimeters will be visible.

Seat Ateca fr 1.5 auto - Tyre quality question - challenger54

Sorry the tyre are I Link made in China I think, this is the first time I have bought budget tyres simply because of the mileage I do which is about 2 or 3 K a year

Seat Ateca fr 1.5 auto - Tyre quality question - catsdad

Thanks for clarifying. These are Chinese tyres whose main attraction seems to be cheapness. I can’t find any professional reviews.

Opinions differ on Chinese tyres. I’m just an amateur tyre user and play safe by buying recognised, well reviewed makes. That’s not to say all Chinese tyres are bad,

Back to the original vibration issue, it’s likely down to the new tyres if the previous ones were OK. However there are other potential causes of vibration. It might be worth getting a good indie to check the car rather than a tyre fitter. Even if that throws up another cause I would budget for a new set of mainstream tyres but maybe I’m over-cautious. Thousands of cars run around on them without incident.

Seat Ateca fr 1.5 auto - Tyre quality question - Big John

The guy said there was a very slight variation on the weights but should not be a vibration. He has been in the tyre business for 20 yrs plus.

I've had this before from lazy tyre fitters but have insisted that they were re balanced and guess what - no vibration afterwards. Make sure they have used the correct weights for alloy wheels - not the hammer on versions designed for steel wheels.