Vectra DERV limping home @ 75mph/3500rpm - mfarrow
Hi

'W' Vectra 2.0 TDI

A friend has a Vectra which doesn't like going above 75mph or 3500rpm (one or the other). When it does it goes into "limp home" mode which resets when the ignition is turned on/off.

Similar faults reported on here seem to point to MAF sensor (worth a gamble?). He's waiting to take it to a garage after the 3 months warranty "cooling off" period but I imagine this will cost more than the excess (£25) so I may persuade him that a cheap DIY fix is the better choice!

Engine management light is not working (!) btw. Car seems fine otherwise though it's less economical than the Cavalier 1.7TD it replaced and has more turbo lag.

Threads which seem to come close with similar symptoms:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=17...5
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=5508&v...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29957&...f (seems closest!)
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=34043&...f

Thanks

--------------
Mike Farrow
Vectra DERV limping home @ 75mph/3500rpm - helicopter
Mike - The fact that the performance is sluggish even before it goes into limp home mode suggests to me that your friend may have a problem similar to that on my company car which was caused by a blocked cat.

I only found this out by employing Andrew Moorey to check over the car after local dealers changing MAF sensor and pressure sensors without success and at considerable expense.

Thanks helicopter.

He hazarded a guess at the cat. himself. I haven't driven the car to see how bad the turbo lag is, and he's got little experience other than the Cavalier which he said was better in that respect.

Just to clarify, it doesn't like either sustained >=3500rpm nor being revved for a short period any higher than this (~4000rpm).

--------------
Mike Farrow
Just heard that he's taken it to the main dealer in the end who fitted a new MAF sensor. It's a new car apparently! Much improved acceleration and MPG!

--------------
Mike Farrow
Vectra DERV limping home @ 75mph/3500rpm - Number_Cruncher
It is worth fixing the engine management light too, not only because it can warn you of faults you might not be aware of, but also because the lack of a proper engine management light circuit itself sets an obscure trouble code (I can't remember the trouble code's description off the top of my head, but it is obscure, and does not mention engine management lights!) on some Vauxhalls. During any future diagnostic work, this might lead an inexperienced mechanic or bonus monkey to recommend an ECU, when perhaps all the car would need is an engine management light bulb!

Number_Cruncher
It is worth fixing the engine management light too

Sorry ND, forgot to mention that bit. Light was fixed by main dealer for £50 (not under warranty). Selling garage obviously had an hour free at some point to take the dash apart to take the bulb out!

--------------
Mike Farrow
Vectra DERV limping home @ 75mph/3500rpm - Number_Cruncher
Hi Mike,

It is good that the light has been fixed.

I mentioned the bit about the obscure trouble code, because it came close to catching me out once. The fault code description was making me think that there was an internal ECU fault, and it was only by following the principle of repairing all the simple, obvious, and cheap faults before spending serious time and money that made me fit a bulb, and surprising me greatly at the time, cleared the trouble code!

Cheers,

Number_Cruncher
thanks ND

I mean NC (doh!)
fit a bulb... cleared the trouble code!

If only it were always that simple :-)

--------------
Mike Farrow
Vectra DERV limping home @ 75mph/3500rpm - Ruperts Trooper
The engine management bulb out isn't takeb out for fun - it's taken out to hide a fault if the car's being sold. The last seller of the vehicle should be interrogated, with "thumbscrews" if possible.
Vectra DERV limping home @ 75mph/3500rpm - Riyan max

Vectra DERV pushing through adversity, limping home at 75mph/3500rpm. Despite the challenge, it soldiers on, a testament to resilience. Each rotation of the wheel a testament to its determination. A reminder that even in the face of struggle, there's a drive to persevere. Admirable strength in every mile traveled.

Vectra DERV limping home @ 75mph/3500rpm - bathtub tom

Some of these AI warriors are getting desperate to revive an eighteen year old thread!

Vectra DERV limping home @ 75mph/3500rpm - Andrew-T

Some of these AI warriors are getting desperate to revive an eighteen year old thread!

Yes - perhaps AI = American Imbecile ? Clearly from t'other side of pond, having 'traveled' ....