Car Giant - LinuxGeek

Has anyone got any experience (good or bad) of buying a car from cargiant? I'm going there tomorrow. I've looked at their website and there are couple of cars which fit my budget and the sort of car I'm looking for.

I'll be part exchanging my Mazda323. Again any tips with this regards would be great appreciated as well.

Car Giant - PhilDS

I recently bought a car but didn't have a trade in.

A few key things:

Don't hang around once you have seen a car. I saw 4 on the website and when I arrived the next day to look at them, 3 had been sold.

Although you can have as much time as you like to look round the car with the keys (you are allowed to start them but not move them), the test drive is quite short so make the most of it!

If you are not using CG finance then any deposit is non refundable. Also if it is likely that it will take more than 3 days to arrange everything then the deposit is £400.

Once you have agreed to buy the car, ensure you book an early collection appointment and be ready to wait. The process is detailed and quite labourious.

I haven't had cause to call their customer service team with an issue but HJ has said they are very good.

Car Giant - Pondlife

I've bought a couple of cars from Car Giant, both a few years ago though so things might have changed.

They charge an "admin fee" above the sticker price, so allow for that. They also charge extra for taking credit card, so it's better to use a debit card instead.

They pushed the finance side quite a bit even though I said I didn't want it, so I guess they make some commission on it.

The collections process can take a few hours, even though the car is ready. Don't think you can pop in to collect and be on your way in half an hour. It's more like a couple of hours.

The test drive involves about a half-mile trip around an industrial estate and back. You'll be lucky to get up to 30 mph, so it's not really a proper test. They do give a warranty though.

Car Giant - LinuxGeek

Thanks for your responses guys. Went their earlier today after seeing a car on their website last night and arranging a viewing. But when I got there me, SWMBO and bro-in-law (mechanic and buys cars from auctions) liked another one which was almost a grand out of my budget. But we stuck to it and have paid the deposit and I'll collect it tomorrow morning now.

I was fairly pleased with the whole process, salesman was a very nice guy, however a bit pushy when it came to selling AA warranty, Gap insurance and GardX. I refused the first two but went with GardX. Bought a black colour Accord i-CTDi and it had couple of minor scratches so I'm hoping GardX would sort those out as well as apply a protection layer inside out.

Few tips if anyone is planning to go. If at all possible don't go on Sat or Sun. Salesman was telling us these two days are very busy so the whole process takes a lot longer than any other days.

Car Giant - Avant

Good luck with the Accord, Mazman.

I've often heard that supermarkets like Car Giant usually give poor PX prices, but that's only rumour. Was yours reasonable?

Car Giant - LinuxGeek

Avant - Thanks.

Glad you asked about PX. It was quite funny actually. I had told salesman I would like to PX my Mazda323. He wrote down on a piece of paper that I would like around £1200 (I had told him I'll be happy with around £800-£900) for it. Then he told me to wait and few minutes later their valuations guy asked me to show him my car. Which I did and he didn't even take one minute looking at the car. Then he offered me £200 and I just started laughing and told him to forget it.

I was told any car that's over 10 years old which mine is they usually don't PX them and when they do they don't pay you much!